The most important thing that any student can do to prepare for his/ her exam is to start early. The days of studying for an exam on the bus going to school are not more useful. Studying with the college material is often different from your school times. You need to put on more effort to be done with your college exams.
Start preparing for the next test, the day after you take the prior one. Daily preparation is crucial, hence you can review the study material once every week between exams. How much time is needed? The classic question. Some recommend 2-3 hours outside of class for every hour of class time. In some cases homework problems will require this much effort. For a straightforward lecture course try the following:
- Every day before class, preview the material for 15-20 minutes.
- Attend every lecture with interest.
- Take good notes. Learn how.
- Spend another 20-30 minutes after class going over the notes.
- Use this time to get any confusing points cleared up in your head; much better now than later. This will make later exam prep. MUCH easier.
Do not take too much mental stress thinking about the exams. First you need to make yourself fully comfortable and start enjoying the studies. You get too tired when you stress yourself, to keep it at bay take short breaks between studies and listen to music or do something you like to do. Prepare a time table of all subjects giving enough time to play and take small breaks.