Fees nowadays, are on a hike very often. The Undergraduate Programmes fees for Medical, Dental, Engineering, and Architecture courses from this academic session, ie.. 2012-13 is going up by 10%. The State Government hereby on Saturday announced that though the hike is for 10 percent the seat-sharing ratio will remain unchanged.
The meeting which carried out with Chief Minister DV Sadananda Gowda and officials of the Department of Higher education with the office-bearers of the Consortium of Medical, Engineering and Dental Colleges of Karnataka (Comed-K), together made this decision.
The Medical Education Minister SA Ramdas states it as to be “Inevitable”. He said,“an increase in the fees of all undergraduate and postgraduate professional courses is inevitable. The government will soon sign a consensual agreement with the Comed-K authorities on seat sharing and the fee structure”.
Comed-K representing the Karnataka Private Medical and Dental Colleges Association and the Karnataka Unaided Private Engineering colleges Association records of last year says that the government had introduced two slabs of fee structure for engineering courses. Private unaided colleges that charged Rs.1Lakh for their management quota seats collected Rs.38,090 among which Rs.35,000 is tuition fee and Rs 3,090 for other fees for the government quota (CET) seats.
At present, the government fee will go up by Rs.3,500 and Comed-K fee by Rs. 1,12,500. Institutes which charged Rs. 33,090 for management quota seats last year will be making it costlier this year by Rs.3000 and the mannagemnt quota by Rs.12,500. That is, the government seat will come for Rs. 36,090 and Comed-K seats for Rs.1,37,500.
The sources revealed that the private colleges wanted to increase management quota for Rs.30,000 per seat. However, the government did not revenue to the demand, apparently because of forthcoming elections to the Legislative Assembly. “We half-heartedly agreed to the 10 percent hike in fees” sid Pandurang Shetty, the Vice President of Karnataka Unaided Private engineering Colleges Association.
SA Ramdas said- Almost 33% of seats in Postgraduate level Medical or Dental stream will be filled by the government through the Postgraduate Entrance Test (PGET). The remaining 67% of seats will be filled by the Comed-K Entrance Test and Management Quota. And, for the Undergraduate level MBBS and BDS courses its 40% of seats available through Karnataka Examinations Authority's common Entrance Test and the remaining 60% seats will be occupied by the Comed-K entrance and Management Quota.